About HDMI Forum, Inc.
The HDMI Forum, Inc. is comprised of the world’s leading manufacturers
of consumer electronics, personal computers, mobile devices, cables and
components. An open trade association, The HDMI Forum’s mission is to
foster broader industry participation in the development of future versions
of the HDMI specification and to further expand the ecosystem of interoperable,
HDMI-enabled products. The HDMI Forum currently has a membership of over
HDMI 2.0 was developed by the HDMI Forum’s Technical Working Group.
For more information, please visit www.hdmiforum.org.
HDMI 2.0, which is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI
specifications, significantly increases bandwidth up to 18Gbps and adds
key enhancements to support continuing market requirements for enhancing
the consumer video and audio experience. New functionality includes:
- 4K@50/60, (2160p), which is 4 times the clarity of 1080p/60 video resolution
- Up to 32 audio channels for a multi-dimensional immersive audio experience
- Up to 1536kHz audio sample frequency for the highest audio fidelity
- Simultaneous delivery of dual video streams to multiple users on the same screen
- Simultaneous delivery of multi-stream audio to multiple users (up to 4)
- Support for the wide angle theatrical 21:9 video aspect ratio
- Dynamic synchronization of video and audio streams
- CEC extensions provides expanded command and control of consumer electronics devices through a single control point
HDMI 2.0 does not define new cables or new connectors. Current High Speed cables (Category 2 cables) are capable of carrying the increased bandwidth.
Want to contribute?
The HDMI Forum is looking for those companies who want to contribute to the next version of the HDMI specification.
“With the publication of the HDMI 2.0 specification, we are now soliciting
input and proposals from member companies for the next HDMI Forum specification.
We also encourage new members to join and participate in the development
of the next HDMI specification.”
- Arnold Brown, Chairman of Board of Directors, HDMI Forum, Inc.
Membership information can be found on the HDMI Forum website, www.hdmiforum.org
HDMI 2.0 FAQ
Additional information can be found on our HDMI 2.0 FAQ