HDMI 2.1 Specification Technology Overview
HDMI® 2.1 Specification
HDMI® Specification 2.1 is the most recent update of the HDMI® specification and supports a range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K. Dynamic HDR formats are also supported, and bandwidth capability is increased up to 48Gbps.
Supporting the 48Gbps bandwidth is the new Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable. The cable ensures ultra high-bandwidth dependent features are delivered including uncompressed 8K video with HDR. It features exceptionally low EMI (electro-magnetic interference) which reduces interference with nearby wireless devices. The cable is backwards compatible and can be used with the existing installed base of HDMI devices.
HDMI Specification 2.1 feature highlights include:
- Higher video resolutions support a range of high resolutions and faster refresh rates including 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail. Resolutions up to 10K are also supported for commercial AV, and industrial and specialty usages.More Info...
- Dynamic HDR support ensures every moment of a video is displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast and wider color gamuts—on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by-frame basis.More Info...
- The Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable supports the 48G bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support. The cable also features very low EMI emission and is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.More Info...
- eARC simplifies connectivity, provides greater ease of use, and supports the most advanced audio formats and highest audio quality. It ensures full compatibility between audio devices and upcoming HDMI 2.1 products.More Info...
Enhanced gaming features ensure an added level of smooth and seamless motion and transitions for gaming, movies and video.More Info... They include:
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) reduces or eliminates lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay.More Info...
- Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) allows the ideal latency setting to automatically be set allowing for smooth, lag-free and uninterrupted viewing and interactivity.More Info...
- Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduces latency for smoother no-lag gaming, and real-time interactive virtual reality.More Info...
- Quick Media Switching (QMS) for movies and video eliminates the delay that can result in blank screens before content is displayed.More Info...
- HDMI Cable Power enables active HDMI Cables to be powered directly from the HDMI Connector, without attaching a separate power cable. This makes attaching and using active HDMI Cables as easy as using passive, wired HDMI Cables.More Info...
Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification is backward compatible with earlier versions of the Specification and is available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters.
Supporting graphics, photos, and multi-language overview presentations on HDMI 2.1 are available for download and reproduction. Please attribute content you reproduce to HDMI Licensing Administrator, Inc.
The HDMI Forum
HDMI 2.1 Specification was developed by the HDMI Forum’s Technical Working Group. The HDMI Forum, Inc. is comprised of the world’s leading manufacturers of consumer electronics, personal computers, mobile devices, cables, components, silicon; and also includes movie studios, service providers, test labs and test equipment manufacturers. An open trade association, The HDMI Forum’s mission is to foster broader industry participation in the development of future versions of the HDMI specification and to further expand the ecosystem of interoperable, HDMI-enabled products. The HDMI Forum currently has a membership of over 90 companies. Information is available about the HDMI Forum and how to become a member.
The Adopted Trademarks Ultra High Speed HDMI and the Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable Name Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing Administrator, Inc.
USB Type-C® is a registered trademark of USB Implementers Forum.
HDMI® Licensing Administrator, Inc. (HDMI LA) is the agent appointed by the HDMI Forum to license Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification and is the agent appointed by the HDMI Founders to license earlier HDMI Specifications.
USAHDMI® Licensing Administrator, Inc.
550 S. Winchester Blvd, Suite 515
San Jose, CA 95128, USA
Contact HDMI LA